CNC projects are well known for delivering optimal accuracy and precision. But to achieve high-quality flawlessness, every tool plays a significant part. Clamps are among those several tools that make CNC routing almost perfect.
For locking a workpiece to its place to prevent wobbling from getting even and smooth results, we use clamps. Hold-down clamps are considered the best CNC router clamps as they are practical and work with any T-track routing configuration.
This being, every hobbyist keeps some clamps in his toolbox to streamline the workflow as much as possible.
Here are my recommended products picked out through amazon you would be interested in depending on your budget…
7 Best CNC Router Clamps Reviews
Here is a list of Best CNC Router Clamps in 2021;
1. WERTEC 71083 T-Track Hold-Down Clamp
- Size (L*W): 5-1/2″ x 1-1/8″
- Knob style: 5 star
- Material: anodized aluminum
- Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Style: 1-PK
POWERMATIC is known for being committed to exceeding the expectations of its customers, and these hold-down clamps speak for the pledge that it has made with itself. They are brilliant, simple, and hold a material exceptionally well.
Be it a drill press, crosscut sled, or tapering jig; these clamps fit standard T-track configurations and assemblies. Not a brainer to work with.
However, some buyers complained that the T-bolts have big heads and don’t fit in the tracks of the table of a CNC machine. But by grinding both sides of T-bolts, they work excellently.
What you would like about these clamps is their sturdy construction. Tailored with aluminum, they don’t wear and are anti-corrosion. Therefore, a great value for money.
Along with this, rubber pads on each end protect the surface. But again, interesting to learn that rubber pads reduce the effectiveness of these hold-down clamps until you over-tighten the clamps to hold a solid material down perfectly. But it never makes them a deal-breaker since they are practical by every means and get the work done efficiently.
2. Mini Deluxe Hold-Down Clamp
- Size (L*W): 5-1/2” x 1-1/8”
- Knob style: 4 star
- Material: Aluminum and rubber
- Weight: 0.23 pounds
- Style: screw
You can’t go wrong with these compact and teeny clamps, for they secure a workpiece on your CNC table fairly well. Despite being small, they are quick to set up, affordable, and practical.
Whether your CNC project is about woodworking or metal cutting, these clamps have a strong grip over a workpiece and don’t let a workpiece move under high cutting forces. Brilliant in this regard.
Not only are they efficient and flexible to use within any T-slot configuration, but they are rigid and strong in their true meaning. Thick aluminum never attracts the magnet when you collect cutting chips from your CNC table.
The rubber tips protect a workpiece and have a surprising grip to hold down any small work.
The clamps feature a 4-star knob and a 5/16″*3″ t-bolt design that fits into t-tracks on CNC router tables and other CNC assemblies. Further to this, these clamps a material that is ThicK up to 2 Â½”.
Buyers reviewed this product worth buying as these clamps meet and exceed clamping requirements.
3. Powermatic PM-HD CNC Hold Downs
- Size (L*W): 5-1/4” x 1-1/8”
- Knob style: fluted
- Material: aluminum
- Weight: 12 ounces
- T-bolt size: 5/16″
Since CNC routing is about precision and accuracy, you certainly need a T-slot clamp to secure a workpiece rigidly at its T-track router table.
POWERMATIC brings a set of 2 clamps with a long 5 ¼” aluminum arm to clamp a material down.
These are outstanding and perform as they are supposed to do. This means they hold the material down perfectly and reduce the vibration maximumly.
The results are unbeatable accuracy of cuts after you’ve done CN.
These bolts come in standard size and fit well into CNC router tables or drill presses.
But in case if you don’t want to get them high and are protruding your path, go for a little modification by cutting off the bolts to fit properly to your CNC device.
Compared to other t-track clamps, these are a little pricier, but the overall strong construction and ergonomic design are worth the money completely.
4. INCRA Build-It Hold Down Clamp
INCRA build-it hold-down clamp is an unbeatable clamping choice that works great and locks a workpiece perfectly during CNC routing.
By meeting these requirements, it allows the machine to make smooth and precise cuts. With user-friendly features and dynamic pivoting design, they allow you to use them without any fuss.
Several clamps are available in the markets, but they stand apart for having skeletal construction to perform consistently under high torque cutting forces.
These clamps are practical and functional, yet few buyers think that the cylinder of the clamps does not slide smoothly. Also, the finish of the clamps is not of high quality. So aesthetically, it may not meet your expectations.
On the other hand, when testing them to hold lumber in place, they are far better than other standard T-slots hold down clamps.
For CNC routers, they perform neither less nor far, just the right.
5. T Tracks for Woodworking by CLEAR STYLE
- Size (L*W): 5-1/2” x 1-1/8”
- Knob style: Three-pong
- Material: Aluminum
- Weight: 1.04 pounds
- Style: 2 pack hold down
Almost as same as any traditional clamps on the market, with the difference that these come with pre-drilled holes. These pre-drilled holes accommodate with #8 wood screw. So make sure you use these to let these clamps do their work.
If you are working on jigs or wrenches, they don’t let you disappoint since they can fit into a cross-section configuration to their fullest.
Clear Style has made the design practical and pleasing at the same time. The black casing is smooth and bears a quality finish.
These t-track anodized aluminum hold-down clamps not only fit t-bolts but hex bolts, as well. But don’t forget to Redhill the holes to let them work with hex bolts.
Also, pay attention if you are surface-mounting them as they may not remain straight.
These clamps are great as they work great and have handy geometric configurations to fit a CNC router with quite ease.
Value for the money!
6. POWERTEC 71169 T-Track with Hold-Down Clamps
- Size (L*W): 5-1/2” x 1-1/8”
- Knob style: 5-star
- Material: Anodized Aluminum
- Weight: 2 Pounds
- Style: screw-in
POWERTEC has tailored these clamps to provide the user maximum grip over a workpiece. These clamps are no exception as they include all the essential features their peers are also offering.
They are unique, functional, and practical for several CNC configurations. You can not only use these hold-down clamps for gripping several benchtop tools, but these jigs are great to put on a crosscut sled. When cutting smaller pieces, the clamps secure the workpiece throughout and keep your hands away from the blade. This results in more accurate cuts.
A certain feature that requires your attention is its anchor points on the bolts. When you try to over-tighten the knob, the head May snap off easily. So, avoid exerting too much force on the knob. But don’t overhaul, instead tighten the knob keenly.
What’s more, the ends of the clamps are rubber padded and prevent any damage. Moreover, the anodized aluminum imparts the product its exceptional strength.
The icing on the cake, these clamps are relatively cheaper than several other clamps available in the market.
7. POWERTEC 71165 Aluminum Cam Clamp
These cam clamps provide maximum clamping force to secure a workpiece in place. Unlike knob-style T-track hold-down clamps, they have a straightforward design.
Therefore, making adjustments becomes a cinch and less time-consuming. Its lever design allows a user to quick-release the clamp in no minutes.
To this, it has a cam-activated lock to lock the workpiece effectively at its place.
The design is not only functional and adaptable, but it also has strong built quality. The die-cast aluminum clamp uses an anodized blue coating to prevent corrosion and wear.
Furthermore, these clamps serve their purpose as they can work on a CNC router application efficiently. They hold down the material and allow you to have a smooth workflow.
Rest assured not to tighten the knobs forcefully, and even better if not close them too loose. When combined with a steel washer, the rubber washer holds a jig or fixture down with sufficient cam force.
The good news is they come with a smaller price tag.
Best CNC Router Clamps
Clamps are considered silent workers in any workshop. The clamps are not responsible for boring, cutting, smoothing, shaping, finishing, or fixing, but they are meant for securing a workpiece in place. With a wide range of the best CNC router clamps in the market, clamps are considered essential tools in the woodworker’s collection.
What to look for when buying the best CNC router clamps?
It would be best if you consider the following features when buying the best CNC router clamps:
Anatomy of CNC router clamps
There are several different styles of clamps available in the market, but they feature different anatomy. For instance, I, K, and T profile shapes in clamps offer extra resistance to bend or flex under pressure. However, G and C clamps come within a single piece.
- Bar clamps, for instance, are utilized for clamping boards together from edge to edge. They come with fixed and moveable jaws over a metal bar leading to immense pressure. The bar clamps are available in I or T shape, making them extra sturdy and resistant to bending even under load.
- Sash Clamps have the same function and design, similar to bar clamps. Such clamps are, however, more thick and tall, offering excellent resistance to deformation under load.
- Panel Clamps are utilized for clamping huge panels like tabletops or doors. They exert pressure in both directions. Most panel clamps are wall-mounted, offering extra convenience to users.
- Parallel Jaw Clamps are commonly used in the frame assembly. They offer enough clamping pressure.
- F-Clamps come with a long reach compared to the G clamps. They come with one fixed and one movable jaw. F clamps can quickly engage with high pressure.
- G-Clamps are the most popular ones because they are utilized for anchoring a workpiece or jig with a tool table or bench. They come with enough strength and resistance to flexion.
- Quick Action Clamps come with geared mechanisms that are activated by pushing or pulling the handle. They are easy to engage with increased pressure.
- Face Clamps are used for the alignment of pocket hole joints. They can hold T and L-shaped joints within a position. They come with narrow metallic arms.
- Hold-down clamps come in conjunction with the dog hole over the workbench. They come with narrow metallic arms.
- Mitre Clamps are utilized for keeping dual faces of miter joints in approximation. They serve well for making mirror frames, pictures, boxes, and others.
- Picture Frame Clamps are meant for holding the entire frame together at times of gluing or fixing. They exert enough overall pressure corners of such a frame.
- Strap clamps come with a metallic strap, broad or long nylon, and tensioner. It comes in a basic design due to which is ideal for irregularly shaped workpieces. It wraps evenly all over the workplace leading to equal pressure within all directions. Such clamps work well for frames, furniture, and different projects.
- Toggle Clamps maintain the workpiece in a suitable position during work operation. Such clamps are used with coping sleds, pocket hole jigs, and jigs that need board clamping.
- These clamps are operated with a lever leading to high clamping pressure.
Other features that you need to consider while buying the Best CNC router clamps:
This feature of the clamp determines how far it will reach during work. For working on narrow projects, it’s not a big issue. However, when working on wide pieces, you need an even distribution of pressure allowing the clamp to reach a suitable distance in work.
This is an important consideration that you definitely need to consider when buying the best CNC router clamps. The jaws of the clamp come in contact with the wood surface.
The absolute pressure by clamp is transmitted in work with the clamp faces over the jaws. If the clamp faces are small, less pressure is concentrated on a small area leading to indentations in position if you clamp directly.
On the other hand, large clamp faces do not result in such indentations due to the even spread of pressure on a wide surface area.
Mode of Action
The clamping mechanism plays an essential role in the amount of pressure it exerts over the clamps. It also affects the duration it will take to engage the clamp. If the clams come with threaded bar mechanisms, they take longer to deploy. However, the clams with a combination of cranked handle or bar over thread allow tight screwing of the clamp in need of high pressure.
There are quick-action clamps, which are lever operated and push the moveable jaw over the work. The ratchet mechanism in clamps keeps them in a locked state, which you can disengage by squeezing the trigger.
When buying the best CNC router clamps, it’s essential to identify the weight. Delicate or smaller assemblies need lighter clamps compared to the ones for panels.
The CNC router clamps come with different pressure withstanding capabilities. The pressure amount varies, and it depends on how well clamp parts will fit together. Choose a perfectly fitted tenon and mortise joint to need less clamping pressure than an edge-to-edge joint.
The best thing about clamps is their cost-effectiveness. You can get them separately, or they are available in the form of sets of two. Either way, make sure they align with your project’s needs.
Clamping is crucial and the primary step for your CNC routing projects. So make sure that your CNC router clamps are functional enough to keep a workpiece secure in its place.
You may also love to read these my reviews and the buying guides…
People Also Asked
Here are a few questions that people ask for CNC clamps;
What are the Best CNC Router Clamps?
Here is a list of Best CNC Router Clamps in 2021;
- WERTEC T-Track Hold-Down Clamp
- Mini Deluxe Hold-Down Clamp
- Powermatic PM-HD CNC Hold Downs
- INCRA Build-It Hold Down Clamp
- T Tracks Clamps by CLEAR STYLE
- POWERTEC with Hold-Down Clamps
- POWERTEC Aluminum Cam Clamp
Which brand serves as the primary manufacturing company for the best CNC Router clamps?
Dakota ensures to offer the best tools to the users. Their products are carefully spruced from woodworking experts, with each device rigorously tested and inspected.
How to maintain the CNC router clamps?
Here are a few steps that you can follow;
- Ensure the clamp pads and jaw faces are clean and neat without any residue of glue over the surface.
- Make sure to use a light coating of oil on your cast iron clamps, preventing them from rust.
- Ensure to keep the clutches, clamp mechanisms, and screw threads debris-free and completely clean.
How to identify if there is an issue in the clamp assembly?
Before you glue the clamps, ensure to form dry assembly, this highlights any clamp assembly issues. It is essential to identify such problems before you perform final finishing to prevent any indentations in work.
How to evenly spread out the pressure during clamping?
Make use of wooden scrap blocks between clamping faces and work when clamping G or F clamps. This results in an even spread of pressure over the most significant surface, eliminating any risk of indenting within work.
How to maintain the 90-degree corner at a suitable angle?
Make sure to use clamping squares for keeping 90-degree corners at a suitable angle when gluing and camping.
Which CNC router clamps are highly versatile?
Vacuum Clamps are highly versatile. They come with several pads, which allow easy movement with attachment over the working area. You can connect them using a vacuum pump. This system is quite speedy and takes less time. This clamp can work on any thickness. It is a robust, secure system, but this system is costly.